Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Way of thinking

I have a sudden urge to blog about the discussion held on Monday at Fresh Spirit. It started with A who threw out a question about how do we know if we're in the correct philosophy. And though some shared the three proofs that the Daishonin's teaching have - theoretical, logical and actual, I feel that there is still room for counter arguement. What about making comparisons with other religions, what's the superior religion? If Nabi Mohammad, Jesus, Sakyamuni and the first free thinker in the world were to sit together and talk, I believe it would be a never ending discussion. However the ending is, I'm sure all of them would be unhappy. Because each of them have developed a strong belief in what they believe in. This went on to this modern age, when more and more sects from each mainstream religion have branch out. It gets more complicated and result in more comparisons. And then V said something which I agree with him almost completely. It really doesn't matter what teaching or philosophy one gets into, because religion is something very personal and unique. As long as a person feels that it there is improvement in his or her life in some aspect or another and is happy and comfortable with the practice, I think that is the correct teaching for that person. Because if you find a person you love, you wouldn't want to change or try changing to another one just because people said someone else is better. "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" speaks clearly what I meant. I guess afterall, what we want in life is happiness. And how to achieve happiness is up to each individual as there isn't a universal path towards achieving it; we all use different ways to get it.
For me personally, I always find something positive in each meeting and each reading of Buddhist publications. Singled out the history and origins and whatsoever which people often question its accuracy or its fallacy, I find small little encouragements and experiences that i hear and read does make me a better person. Sometimes we tend to overlook morality jargons like kindness, non judgemental mind, perseverence, patients, positive, determination, conviction, strong, tolerance, humble, hope etc. At times, people might think they sound very cheesy, but if we seriously think about it literally and take it into our hearts, it would change our day to day encounter with people.

No comments: