Sunday, December 07, 2008

Melbourne Cup Carnival

Following Kai's birthday, the next day I attended my first volunteering day at the Melbourne Cup Carnival. Melbourne Cup is a yearly horse racing event which is held every November, where people would dress up formally and pay to attend the event. However, I think after so many years, the event has evolved into a social event where people come to have a drink of two and have fun rather than attending to watch the races. Interestingly to me, it's such a prestigious event that it's a public holiday on Melbourne Cup's day. I wonder what's the significance , I can't seem to find something meaningful to celebrate for when horse racing is all about betting! As for me, I wanted to find out more what the event is like and has always fancy formal dressing and so I volunteered. Though my primary reason is to get more experience before I go out to work next year, the formal dress code event definitely is the secondary attraction for me.



Now going back to my volunteer job, my task is to sell some beautiful lapel pins for the Alfred Hospital to raise money to renovate/enlarge the current ICU building. So for four days, I was walking around holding these pins and waiting for people to approach me to buy. I sold at least 200 pins each day which totalled up to about $1000. During the course of my working time, I had the chance to talk to many people. Some funny, some weird, some kind not to mention some rude. Some people actually offered money in return of my accreditation! Well I should have known because with my pass, it allows me to gain access to all areas including the VIP area. Hehe!


Speaking about dressing up, I was exposed to the highest top fashion show of my life, at least one that I'm experiencing it with my naked eyes. Women comes in gorgeous dresses, spring hats and some with hand gloves and men comes in smart bow-tie, tuxedo or suit. Also, something much more interesting that I'm amused is the over-the-top-fashionable dressing which is aimed to attract attention. As I witnessed, these people are like walking celebrity because lots of people would approach them to have their photo taken.

Lucia and gang were there on the actual Melbourne Cup day. So after I finished my shift til 3pm I joined them for a while before heading home. If only I have known earlier I would have dressed up more that day! =)


Well, what more I can say, after having experience Melbourne Cup, apart from the racings, top fashion and weird fashion, I think it's also about people getting drunk. I must stress that it would be a much enjoyable event if the management impose a ban on drinks and make it a dry event instead.

No comments: